Re: [OM] 2x teleconverter

Subject: Re: [OM] 2x teleconverter
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:43:14 -0800
The ubquitous 4 element 2x teleconverters aren't great, but I used a Vivitar 2X-21 for years, even with a zoom, and got some pretty good pics. On a bright day with fast film, you can stop down a lot and that helps. Also helps if the in-focus area of interest is in the center and the edges are out of focus anyway. The 7 element designs are reputed to be better, but I've only used my fairly recently acquired Kiron once. It was a long distance shot of a gaff rigged schooner. Nice atmospheric picture, what with the effect of long distance over water, but didn't tell much about the quality of the converter.

The only constant speed, fast zoom Oly makes is the 35-80/2.8 and they seldom go for less than $900. The Tamron SP 35-105/2.8 is a great lens. They used to go for $250-350, but a really nice looking one just sold on eBay for $195. I don't know of any constant aperture 2.8s starting at 28mm for the Olys. I think Vivitar and Kiron and ??? made 2.8-3.8s in about that focal range, but they are older designs that are large and heavy.

Moose

Olympus List wrote:

Well, after moving, and finally getting my servers back up, and signing up again for the list, I have to say, I'm happy to be back. I just came back from a great trip to the Sequoias. Took pictures on my OM1n, with Provia 100, the pictures should be stunning. It rained and snowed, and then the skies cleared up, and was bright, and so I anticipate the pictures to be amazing.
Ramblings aside..  Question::
I just won a 2x teleconverter on Evilbay. I figure since I'm broke and can't really afford a 180mm lens, I would just go ahead and use my 90mm with a 2x. I have read that the quality is horrible. Is it really that bad, or just scary stories to scare the children enough to buy more lenses? I know I lose something like 2stops right??
The other question I had was::
I was looking for a 28-70mm f/2.8 constant. Anybody make this for our OM system?
Thanks.