[OM] condolences

Subject: [OM] condolences
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:26:50 -0600
"Well, the circuit board in my -4Ti has failed.  Sadly, I only purchased
this used less than a year ago, and now I have to make the tough
decision."
You have our deepest and most sincere condolences for your loss.

Some have suggested that the circuit board replacement is costly, and it
is cheaper to buy another used body, but won't I be running the same
risk again?  Should I just have the new circuit board replaced so that
it will be "good as new"?
This line of thought lives in many areas. Is a "factory reconditioned"
product better or worse? Some think that they're better, as they have been
closely examined and thoroughly repaired by an actual human. Others think
that this is the sign of a lemon, and a message not exclusive to Miss Cleo.

I have two OM-1 bodies that I have been using more often, and am
wondering what a life would be like if I never had the -4Ti to begin
with....  For me the -4 replaced the -2n as my "AUTO" and easier-to-use
flash body.  I have enjoyed the spot metering, and the super FP flash,
but could I live w/o it?  Should I take the plunge and get a -3Ti for
spot and super FP, and not worry about auto exposure?
You know a bit of where I come from, as one of your 1's used to be mine, but
I'll remind you that I value the auto exposure in many situations. I use the
spot meter less, but it is important on occasions where required. I almost
never used the 4 on center weighted manual.

So many decisions, so little experience....  If anyone has suggestions,
I would be glad to hear them.

If it were I, the cmaera would go to one of our three trusted repairmen. I
would depend on thier judgement, and pay the modest charge, for a thorough
examination. If it is indeed the circuit board and nothing else, I would get
it replaced. you will then have the newr equivelent of a brand new camera at
a lower cost.

Buying a used replacement is always a gamble, and often a good one. Ideally,
get a brond new 3.
Bill