RE: [OM] What's Your Favorite OM Body?

Subject: RE: [OM] What's Your Favorite OM Body?
From: "Robert R. Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:40:44 -0600
I have to say that the OM-1 has proven to be the best after exhaustive
use.  There is nothing to replace the feel and reliability of a
mechanical body, and although I thought I would miss the spot meter,
experience has taught me to compensate or bracket when needed.  I shoot
mostly slides, and feel that the meter is quite accurate and easy to use
for these applications.

I also have an OM-4Ti that is good for the odd time when auto is
necessary - especially w/ TTL flash!  I had an OM-2n for several years
(actually, my first camera!), but found that the -4Ti more than replaced
it.  My only complaint about the -3 and -4 series is the slightly
smaller view finder.  There are several other things that make up for it
(spot meter, and its unique display - more on that later) and the
dioptric correction (though I don't use it).  Super FP flash is also
nice, but needs some manual adjustment in the ASA dial for optimum
results.

I have also never understood the -2sp.  Admittedly, I have never really
used it, but when fiddling with it in the odd camera shop, I found it to
be a bit clumsy.  Some have speculated that it was a generational thing
(meaning that this camera came out when they started w/ Oly), but I find
that to do effective spot metering one needs the graph of the -3 and -4
series.

Let's say that you are looking at a scene with difficult lighting, and a
few areas look to be what you see as "neutral grey".  Well, if you slide
the 2sp spot meter over these areas, you will have to remember what each
of those values were before deciding on the correct exposure.  However,
if you had the -3 or -4, you would be able to see their relationship on
a graph (e.g. that part "A" is 2/3 stop brighter that part "B") and
would be able to make a better judgment from that.

It is all completely subjective, but I think that you will find that
most all the bodies will give you more that most newer cameras on the
market, and fine Zuiko glass to compliment.

Bob Gries