[OM] Free Image Editor observation

Subject: [OM] Free Image Editor observation
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:33:21 -0800 (PST)
I've been working on some scans tonight and finally got around
to loading the windows version of THE GIMP. (2002-3-10)

The UI is kinda kludgy compared to what I'm used to, but that's
a non-MS Windows program for you.  Can't get some of the tools
to work for some reason but...

The resizing function is the very best I've ever come across!  I
was trying to resize an image tonight that had a lot of fine
high-contrast lines in it and the editors were just hashing the
daylights out of it.  Gimp transformed the image in just one
step to my desired size with absolutely no visible artifacts! I
was so impressed that I tried expanding the image to larger than
origional.  I couldn't believe how smooth it was.  Shrunk back
down again, the down-up-down image wasn't as sharp as the first
downsized image, but it was still respectable.

I don't know who came up with the resizing algorithm, but they
are to be commended for an outstanding tool.  If I don't use the
editor for much else, you will know that I will be using it for
resizing of my scans.

For those of us who can't afford Ph*toshop, but still need
quality tools, this program is a wonderful augmentation to your
other editors.  (I'm still using XRes for the advanced layering
and quality airbrush tools).

I'm a happy camper.  I've also got a decent scan profile for
slides with my Nikon Coolscan II.  It's only taken me a year...

AG-Schnozz