Re: [OM] diffraction, apertures, f-stops, extension revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] diffraction, apertures, f-stops, extension revisited
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:56:07 +0100
On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 09:04:20PM -0500, John A. Lind wrote:
> At 18:58 3/9/02, Dean Hansen wrote:
> >Hello OM'ers,
> >    Frieder Faig and Chris Barrett both nailed it with the question of
> >aperture--I was stopping down (to f8) too much.  The reasons why this
> >gives lower resolution will take some study.
>
> Frieder and Chris hit on it, and with something I wouldn't have suspected
> at f/8 although it's obviously influenced by magnification.

Considering that the engraved F/8 act`s as like a effective F/90, it is not
that surprising anymore. I think Don's way to describe the darkening effect of
long barrel extenssions with a higher apperture number is more illustrative,
than the usual use of a exposure compensation factor.

  > What's CoC?

Yes. My last posting presupposed already special knowledge.
Thank you for the explanation, as non native speaker I`ve economized a bit <g>.

Frieder Faig