Re: [OM] Wacko Filter Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Wacko Filter Question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:50:51 -0500
At 00:47 3/11/02, Damo wondered:

John,

I have had no previous experience with these filters but tis a great question, the true B&W look is one to die for.

To the list: 'please let us know those that have either experienced this or are going to try it out in the near future'.

Oh John........, please let me (and us) know what B&W film(s) you are interested in trying this out on.

Agfa Scala 200X and possibly Kodak Tri-X.

Didn't want this to skew any responses if someone had tried one of these with some other B/W film.

Also found a B+W 470 which uses Schott BG 18 glass. It's a cyan filter (BG = blau-grun = blue-green). Found the Schott BG 18 spectral transmission characteristics on Edmund Scientific's site. Looks like a "minus red" filter much like a Wratten #44 or #44A. As I understand it, using a "minus red" or something close to it blocks out light the very old orthochromatic continuous-tone films didn't respond to (cyan is the negative of red).

-- John