Re: [OM] Left and Right Handed Tripod Rings?

Subject: Re: [OM] Left and Right Handed Tripod Rings?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:59:33 -0500
At 23:31 3/9/02, Curtis Hedman wrote:

A question for the experts.... do the tripod rings for the 85~250 f/5 and 300 f/4.5 come in both left and right hand configurations? By that, I mean which side of the lens is the knob on.... Looking around on e*bay I've found pictures of lenses with the knob on either side, but with the "foot" properly facing forward.
[rest snipped out]

I've been in ignorant bliss until your question prompted me to look at my 300/4.5 F.Zuiko. It has the knob on the right side. Then I checked the eSIF and the photograph there shows the 300/4.5 with the knob on the left side. Then I looked at the poster showing the entire lens system. Knob was on the left with the 300/4.5 depicted there too!

Seriously:
I've never noted any problems using the RH knob tripod mount on the 300/4.5 lens. Works just fine and doesn't interfere with any lens or body controls on an OM-1n, OM-2S or OM-4. AFIK, the mount is dimensionally the same for the 85-250 zoom and the 300/4.5 prime. Either side shouldn't matter with the zoom either.

Less Seriously:
Time for a list survey of which side the knobs are on, along with lens serial numbers, whether it's a silver-nose, and whether it's SC, MC, or MC after Oly stopped marking them MC!!!! I can see it now on eB*y: "L@@K: Extremely rare 300/4.5 F.Zuiko with LN condition RH knob tripod ring!"

Even Less Seriously, a Theory:
LH knobs are for Japan, U.K., Australia and New Zealand. RH knobs are for Western Hemisphere (The Americas), Continental Europe, the rest of Asia, and AFIK Africa too. Either is OK in Antarctica.

Much, Much Less Seriously, an Alternate Theory:
LH knobs are for Northern Hemisphere and RH knobs are for Southern Hemisphere to make them compatible with the Coriolis Force from the Earth's rotation. Either works just as well at the equator (but only if it's exactly at the rotational equator).

-- John