Re: [OM] Good News

Subject: Re: [OM] Good News
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 12:55:11 -0500
At 23:40 3/8/02, Charlie Loeven wrote:
Congratulations on the exhibit.
May I ask what size you are refering to as large prints?

Thank you!

"Large" by my standards: 11x11, 11x14 and 11x16 (inches)
Framing is 16x16, 16x19 and 15x20 respectively
  [most "photo shows" limit max framed size to 16x20]
Chromes are printed on Ilfochrome.
Negatives are printed on Kodak Professional Metallic Paper.
Two, possibly three will be from negatives, the rest from chromes.
I will likely use two 8x12 Ilfochromes framed out to 12x16.

I found 11x11 to 11x16 a good gallery viewing size. It's large enough to see what it is walking through, but not so large it requires standing across the room to look at it. At ~12x enlargement, it's also about the limit for 35mm format and shows there's no sloppy work being "hidden" by making it a smaller print.

You didn't ask this, but I'm tacking it on anyway . . .
For those thinking about building a portfolio of "gallery" prints:
Not many talk about costs. Is it a taboo subject (why)? Total cost of print, mounting and framing 11x11 to 11x16 print sizes is about $70 - $80, and that's if there's no custom printing work required, "sweat equity" in mounting and frame assembly, and shopping hard for *acceptable* frames, mat and glazing. Clean presentation to gallery preservation standards is important. "Museum" standards are even more stringent. Cost can easily go higher depending on framing materials used. The dozen to fifteen prints for this is about $1,000 in cost. A "solo" show requires at least 50 works, sometimes more. It takes a while to build up a body of work that's "ready to hang." More experience doing this may find some sources and methods to lower cost, but it won't be at the expense of presentation quality.

I feel that for a photographer having an exhibit is like a writer getting published.
The ultimate goal!!  (except money of course).

You're right, it feels very good! Who knows, something might actually sell, but the money would be used to replace it. "Fine Art" sells very, very slowly around where I live. I could say more about that, but I won't. Suffice it that it sells much better in The Big City.

Thanks!

-- John