Re: [OM] Bad vibes in 35mm systems

Subject: Re: [OM] Bad vibes in 35mm systems
From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:49:52 -0800 (PST)
Brian and all, Hi,
I never understood the problems involved in why it is
difficult to get sharp macro images as compared to
other regular images. Shouldn't it all be dependent on
the angle of view and not how "macro" it is?

--- Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Zuiks,
>
> I was reading through Dean Hansen's post about the
> Zuiko 20mm macro and
> the problems he is experiencing, trying to get sharp
> shots with it. And he
> has gone to some lengths to avoid the negative
> effects of camera/lens
> vibration.

Gary Reese did find that certain body/lens
combinations set up resonances that did effect
resolution.
> I've come to the conclusion that with at least two
> of my lenses, the 100/2
> and the 300/4.5, vibration can be a major (read
> MAJOR) spoiler of image
> quality. And it's not all that easy to decide where
> the offending vibration
> comes from; then dealing with it..

Yes, I've heard of more than a few photographers
eschewing heads on their tripods and just use
adjustable legs to orient their view. OK for
landscapes but impractical for wildlife.
> I've come to the conclusion that I agree with the
> writings of my old (now
> deceased) Forest Service photographer friend  John
> Johns (see his book
> "Know your Camera") that it is important to have the
> camera/lens
> combination as close as possible to the apex of the
> tripod, and if that means
> doing away with such devices as tripod heads,
> close-focussing stages and
> racks, then so be it. You may have to decide between
> your convenience and
> comfort on the one hand, and image quality on the
> other.
>
> In his "Olympus OM system lens tests" Gary Reese
> repeatedly reports the
> benefits of taking several defined actions to avert
> vibration and consequent
> loss of image contrast and definition.
>
> I wonder if Gary can tell us how OM cameras /
> systems compare in this
> regard with other makes?

I don't think it is the shutters but the effect of a
large glass mirror starting to move and then coming to
rest against its stops that creates the vibrations.
Also, from studying vibrations from cameras, there is
relatively little vibration in the first 1/30 of a
second after the mirror hits its stop.
> How lens shutters compare with focal plane shutters.
>
> How OM cloth shutter systems compare with
> vertical-run metal shutters.

I would suggest not worrying about it too much, ignore
the bad vibes and just use mirror lock-up (OM-1) or
mirror pre-fire (OM-2S or OM-4T) and if at all
possible avoid shutter speeds from 1/4 to 1/30.
> And other heretical ideas.
>
> Brian

Warren

=====