Re: [OM] 21/3.5 an interesting lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 21/3.5 an interesting lens
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:49:01 +0100
On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 06:40:14PM -0800, M. Lloyd wrote:
> Well today I decided to test out a 21/3.5 I got
> recently and  have realized that this lens is quite unique in terms
> of its construction.

Yes, Olympus prospects of the 70's were very proud of this
so called 'jewel' in the pre 2/21 days.

>  The thing that struck me most,
> however, was its lack of apeture settings only 5 stops
> from 3.5 to 16. I for one feel that they should have
> added an f22 stop cause in the bright snow with portra
> 160 even at f16 I had to use 1/500 to 1/1000th of a
> second to get the OM-1n's needle inbetween the lines.

Snow in the sun, is one of the brightest natural illuminations.
(BY the way:  The light meter can be fooled up to 2-F-Stops trying
to transpose the snow-white into a middletone gray...?)

You`ve been able to get the shot with speeds of 1/500 ..1/1000
so what`s up? -F16 was sufficient.- At lest from the technical point
of the lens designer.
Using  e.g. F32@ 1/125 would be less sharp because of two
reasons: diffraction and more camera shake.

> I'm trying to get an impression for this lens cause
> right now it's my only superwide angle that I have
> that I can use in more normal shooting conditions (the
> 24 shift is just too large to carry around all the
> time) and I spent the money I was going to use to get
> a 24/2.8 on this lens. It's a difficult lens to
> control since it's such a huge angle and I'm thinking
> of maybe selling it to try for a 24/2.8 or should I
> just get out and practice more? Thanks for listening
> to my ramblings

Yes extreme wide angel lenses need more care and
practice. But I´d give the 21 another try:
My 24mm lens is almost never used since I`m used to
the 21mm view. O.k it`s personal preference. I shoot slide
film and like large images on the wall.
Usually wide views are not impressing on small prints.

 Frieder Faig