[OM] Help on 250mm lens

Subject: [OM] Help on 250mm lens
From: Gaspar Bakos <gbakos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:23:37 -0500 (EST)
Hi all,

I am considering buying an Olympus Zuiko 250mm f/2 OR 180mm f/2.0 lens for
astrophotographical purposes. The lens would be attached to a large
format digital (CCD) camera, and would observe the night sky
automatically (see http://www-cfa.harvard.edu/~gbakos/HAT/).

Important aspects:
- uniform (sharp) image quality in the whole field, that is no coma around
  bright stars, no distorted profiles
- small vignetting (as small as it can be with f/2.0 of course)
- lens is always used wide open on f/2 in my case

I would need some help from experienced users on the list.

1) Is there any webpage with tech-info on the above mentioned two
   lenses?  (Eg. Relative illuminance vs distance from center, Distortion
   versus the distance, distance of focal plane from mounting plate, etc.)

2) Does anyone have any experience with the 250mm lens in astrophotograpy?

3) Any comment/advise on how these Olympus lenses compare to the same
   category zoom Zeiss/Nikon/Mamiya lenses (eg. Nikon 200mm f/2.0)?

Best regards,

Gaspar A. Bakos
Predoctoral Fellow, Solar and Stellar Physics Division
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
60 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138 (USA)
Phone(office): 617-495-7410 Fax: 617-495-7049
email: gbakos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or bakos@xxxxxxxxxx
homepage: http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~gbakos