RE: [OM] Indexing of message archive

Subject: RE: [OM] Indexing of message archive
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:51:48 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:50, "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> I was looking for some old(er) message and went to the archive,
>> but I was dismayed that only messages up to 2000 were indexed
>> for easy searching.

> Easy fix: use Google.. it indexes the list, it's got a better search engine
>(doesn't get as easily confused by punctiation), and it's more up-to-date.
>You may have to use the 'advanced search' and restrict to host=zuiko... if
>you want to only get list messages because you're searching for something
>off-topic; if you're looking for olympus info in general, though, you may as
>well search the whole thing.

Thank you for the suggestion.  Yes, I am only interested in the
Olympus mailing list messages and not Olympus info in general.

I just tried Google and it does not seem to work.  I looked for
an exact phrase that I know was discussed in the past 6 months.
I entered the "zuiko.sls.bc.ca" web site, and it could not find
any matches.  So I broadened it to the past year and it still
couldn't find anything.  Then I expanded it to "anytime" and it
found many matches.

However, of the individual message matches, all of them were dated
before 2000.  Of the archive/digest matches, the newest was dated
early 2001 (Jan/Feb).  I could not get it to return any match with a
date later than early 2001.

Also Google does not seem to allow wild-card searches, so if I am
looking for all the possible combinations of "Olympus", I must
enter "Oly or Olym or Olymp or Olympu or Olympus" which is a PITA.
Maybe there is something I don't know about Google.  Finally, I
cannot sort the pages found by date, so I can go the the most
recent message first.

Any other suggestions for searching the Olympus archives?  Thanks.
        -Dan