Re: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silver noses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silver noses?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:47:40 +0000
At 23:50 3/4/02, Andy Gilbert wrote:

> Thanks Johnny, yes, John Lind is hard to follow, but you have some
> great shots on your site too.

Yep, Johnny is "selling himself short."

> Great shots, but what lifts them is your choice of lens,  the 24/2.8
> is one of my favourites, it really makes pictures jump off the
> page/screen IMHO.  Incidently I've reserved the 28/F2 & 135/2.8 that
> were in the shop when I bought the 300.  I believe the 28/F2 is a
> particularly fine lens, and is a very good price, GBP 99, about half
> the usual price over here.  Links to pics welcome!

Andy,
Don't have the 28/2 but it does have a fine reputation as one of the better Zuiko lenses. With a 24/2 and 35/2, a 28/2 isn't essential. However, if I could have only *one* lens shorter than 50mm, it would be the 28/2.

Two very common prime lineups for super-wide to standard coverage:
21 -> 28 -> 50
18 -> 24 -> 35 -> 50

OTOH I do have the 135/2.8 telephoto. It's a "sleeper" in the "forgotten" 135mm focal length and an "unsung hero" among the Zuiko's. Long, long ago and far, far, away, at another time and place, in the elder days before zooms, the 135mm long lens was one of the most popular lengths. It's not that hard to hand hold and it plugs a gap between 85mm and 180mm or 200mm (another common prime series is 85/2 -> 135/2.8 -> 180/2.8 or 200/4).

I've used it for a wide range of photography from macro (with extension tubes) to landscape and pretty much everything in between including portraiture. Didn't think I would use it as much as I have, but it has turned out to be one of the lenses selected fairly frequently. In most landscapes it's depth compression is relatively mild. It's not that obvious a telephoto was used to make the photograph.

Some 135/2.8 shots covering a range of usage:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om48.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om54.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om58.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om61.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om73.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om74.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om136.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om140.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om142.html

Not posted to the web site, I also used it for shooting a wrestling tournament during February.

If I need to work "light" the 135/2.8 goes into a very small "half moon" shoulder bag along with the 24/2, 35-105/3.5~4.5, Vivitar AT-21 tube set, and a 50/1.2 on the camera body. This combination will cover very nearly all general photography, especially working completely hand held.

-- John