Re: [OM] Om10 with shutter/exposure problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Om10 with shutter/exposure problem
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:54:48 +0000
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:28:15 +0000, "Sabrina Smith"
<wickedfather@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Sorry if this post has come through before, I've only just subscribed and
>jumped the gun before I'd confirmed my application.
>
>My Om10 suffers from a problem where the shutter seems to stay open far too
>long on the first few shots taken if it's been left standing for about half
>an hour.  It even effects shots taken with my T20 flash, the shutter staying
>open for about 1/2 a second on the first shot, then a 1/4 on the next.
>After I've clicked away a few times it's like the camera seems 'charged' and
>the works fine.

Do you have a manual adaptor? If you have, does this happen in manual
as well?  If it does, it may well be a sticky magnet problem.

BUT, if it it happens *only* in auto, it's very likely to be the ASA
resistor that lives under the film speed dial. It gets "dirty" over
time and the first few shots way over exposed like you are getting is
the classic symptom. Try turning the film speed dial to and fro
several times before making the first exposure. Does that alleviate
the problem? If it does, it's definitely a dirty ASA resistor. No big
deal to get it fixed as part of a CLA.

Let's know what happens.

Regards

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)