Re: [OM] keep software piracy off the list

Subject: Re: [OM] keep software piracy off the list
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:17:48 -0700
At 09:17 AM 15/02/2002 -0500, Steve Troy wrote:
>>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:44:44 -0500
>>From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: Re: [OM] 17" Flat Panel or 21" Trinitron / Photoshop
>>
>>Wouldn't that be piracy?  Someone sent me a free copy of Photoshop 6 once
>>and I just couldn't bring myself to install it.  It just didn't feel right.
>

>Kudos to you, John.  Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who
>actually pays money for software.

Well, no.  I'd be at least one other guy who does so.  Smart software companies
allow you to use demo versions with most if not all of the functionality of the
commercial release, so you can decide whether you want to spend the bucks.

>Let's keep software piracy links off the OM list.  It's ILLEGAL.

Yep.  I've never understood people who steal software and claim that they
shouldn't have to pay for it.  If you really believe the software's not worth
buying, then don't use it.  Simple.  Otherwise, you're just a hypocrite.

My *only* concession to piracy -- I do know of several people who started with
pirated software, and, when they made enough money in their businesses off of
the software's abilities, they then went out and purchased the retail versions.
 However, they risked discovery and prosecution in the meantime.  They
eventually "redeemed" their behaviour, but it's still bad behaviour.

Garth