Re: [OM] Re: 8000dpi

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 8000dpi
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:55:34 +0000
At 23:33 2/12/02, Bill Pearce wrote:

No, and neither can Genuine Fractles, despite what some people think.

This was just alluded to on another list. Glad to see some sanity about it here. It can create fictitious information, perhaps looking very natural, but it cannot create "real" information about what really was there when the image was made on film.

Where it can really matter is if you shoot a 35 chrome for a catalog, and
the client then decides that it should go to 20x24 for a display duratrans,
and then a 40x60 for a trade show booth. There's where it really pays off!

A superb example, although I'm uncertain how good a 40x60 would look from 35mm regardless how highly resolved the scan is.

And here I sit grousing about extracting 11x16's from 35mm small format using the highest MTF films I can get my hands on (mostly chromes). My standard is using a 5x loupe to examine the 11x16 and looking to either find additional detail or if it starts to "fall apart" at its resolution limits.

:-)

-- John
[who currently has reasons for demanding this from larger prints]