Re: [OM] KEH repairs/lens cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] KEH repairs/lens cleaning
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:25:27 -0800
In a message dated 2/12/2002 andrew fildes writes:

<< This implies that we should all be buying bargain lenses with
scratched
front elements and blacking the scratches. Hmmmm. >>

What it really means is that if you can get past the cosmetics you can
save an enormous amount of $$$ for usable tools that are not collector's
"garage queens." Great cases in point are both of my primary users, the
350/2.8 and Tamron 80-200/2.8

Specifically the 350/2.8 which does have a couple small front element
scratches, hence the bargain price I was offered that enabled me to have
such a wonderful lens. The scratches were there when Gary borrowed the
lens for his published 350/2.8 test and it seems none the worse from
them in the results (and my own results from it reflect that it is a
stellar performer as well). The Tamron has much more minor scratches and
dust inside, but it too performs flawlessly.

People would be amazed at the lack of care I see at the track of some
really expensive optics by working pros. But, they get the results and
that's what counts. I'm not advocating everyone go buy "ugly" or
"bargain" stuff, but you can find some very good prices on perfectly
usable great lenses that may have some flaws which turn off most
potential buyers.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com