Re: [OM] KEH repairs/lens cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] KEH repairs/lens cleaning
From: "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:10:00 -0000
I recall an article in an astronomy magazine some time ago that dirt on a
lens or telescope objective mirror will not affect image quality noticably
until it covers an area equal to a blob one-tenth of the lens diameter
across.  So, for a 50/1.8 lens, diameter of the glass is 28mm, so you could
have a lump of muck 2.8mm wide stuck to the lens without it affecting image
quality.

I don't recall their criteria for determining what loss of image quality was
acceptable.  If I can dig out the article I'll provide more info.

Roger