Re: [OM] Alaska Cruise - what to take

Subject: Re: [OM] Alaska Cruise - what to take
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:25:56 EST
On an inland passage cruise last summer I took quite a number of lenses, from
24mm to 500mm mirror. The one I used the most was a 60-300 Tamron.  The 300mm
was almost long enough for the whales and the 60mm end was too long when the
whales decided to come in real close.  One thing I would reccommend is taking
the whale watching excursion and rain forest hike, both of which I think were
in Juneau.  Fast film and the 50mm f2 or f3.5 Macro would be nice in the rain
forest. Pretty dark in those rain forests.  Shot 400 iso while whale watching
as it was raining and overcast or maybe that was overcast on raining.  There
are a lot of lights on a ship and I did a few shots with a cross screen at
night which were interesting.  Ditto for reflections on the water.  You will
need a wide angle for self portraits after a week of a food orgy.  Have a
great time and take the longest lens you have, a tripod and fill in the gaps
with what ever you have room for in your bag.  There are absolutely
spectacular scenics on this trip.  Bill Barber