[OM] Alaska Cruise - what to take

Subject: [OM] Alaska Cruise - what to take
From: Larry Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 22:22:20 -0500
>> --- Walt Wayman wrote:
>> These cruises are, after all, not full of great photo
>> possibilities, but are more snapshot opportunities.  I really
>> don't think they'll change course or anchor for a while just
>> so I can get a better shot.
>
>Sorry, Walt O buddy, O pal.  Can't agree with you there.  At
>minimum I'd pack a single OM body and a couple of lenses like a
>24mm and a 100mm.  They don't take any space and would give you
>a backup option in case something croaks.

I did an Alaska cruise last year on a large (~2000 passenger) ship.
Between impressive vistas, "cosy" cabins and pictures of the ship
taken from the dock, I think I used my 24mm the most.
On the long end, I brought a 200mm and a 2-XA.  Even 400mm was not
enough for pictures of whales or icebergs calving off of the glacier.
A 900 foot ship stays well away from such things.

I also brought 35mm, 50mm and 100mm lenses.  If I were doing it again,
I might leave the 200mm home, and if my 35mm was an f/2, I might
consider leaving the 50mm as well.

The ship may not anchor for you, but will take a couple of hours to
pass a glacier field, so there are plenty of photo-ops.  Shore
excursions give you standard tourist-type opportunities as well.

http://users.rcn.com/rmwoods/skagway.html has a sample of my trip
pictures, though they were originally put there for relatives, not
as a photo exhibit, so I apologize for the quality of the scans.