Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: P2CON@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:45:36 EST
Someone said:
<< > Don't forget that mirror lenses lose about a stop to the middle mirror,
so
  > you wouldn't need an Neutral Density filter in daylight unless your ASA
 was over 400, even with 1/1000. >> , also several have commented on the
horrible OOF characteristics of the mirror lens.

I think we are giving the mirror lenses a bum rap in general.

Yes, they do exhibit doughnut OOF shapes with some backgrounds, but not all,
and when they do you can see it clearly before the shot is taken giving you a
chance to alter the viewpoint or composition to get the best display. They
are truly portable, mostly, and with the simple addition of a monopod or
common walking stick, can be stable down to at least 1/250. My lens is a
500/f8 Tamron, which makes it handy as I can mount it on my OMs, or if it is
really bright sun outdoors, I can put it on a camera with a faster shutter
speed.

I do not use it often, but it is nice to have for those occasions when going
light is more important than being completely prepared for the long shot with
big glass and a heavy tripod.

Interestingly enough I just put the lens on my camera and took a reading on
the green grass in my back yard evenly illuminated by a low angle sun. On
Auto it said 1/250, (ASA 400). I then changed the lens to a 50mm, set at f8
and the reading was 1/250, (ASA 400), certainly no indication of a one-stop
loss in light due to the mirror construction.

Regards,
Paul Connet