Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 17:10:42 +0000
I've got both a 400/5.6 normal lens and a 500/8 mirror.  Ultimately for
quality, the 400/5.6 (which I refer to as The Beast) is much better, in
terms of contrast, sharpness and colour.  But the 500/8 gets a lot more
use, just because it weighs a tiny fraction of what the Beast weighs.
It's hardly heavier than a 50/1.8, and as it's a slinky little
catadioptric number I call it the Cat.

I say it gets a lot more use than the 400/5.6, but really I hardly use
either of them anyway.  The only time I've really used the Cat was in a
game park in Zambia.  It was difficult, even with 1000 speed film, to
keep the exposures short enough when handholding, but I got some
respectable efforts.  They're not yet up on my webpages but I'll put
them up shortly.

Moving away from the point, I must say Fuji MS100/1000 is a hell of a
film when rated at 1000.  Colour is very good, and the grain is way less
than you might expect.

Roger