RE: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:54:27 -0800
Well, just to be on the side of "different strokes" here...

I have a Zuiko 500mm Reflex lens. I really like it. Is the Bokeh weird? Yep.
Does it have less contrast than refractive lenses? Yep. Does it beat
carrying around a long, heavy, unwieldy "long lens"? Hell, yep.

I don't really mind the "bad bokeh" as most people refer to it. As long as I
can shoot so that I don't have zillions of very bright doughnuts, I'm Ok
with it. It's not the smooth creamy kind of effect you get with some of the
"better" Zuikos, but I can live with it.

Where it's useful, to me anyway, is in "grab shots" of wildlife. There's
just no way I can wing a long lens into position, focus and shoot as easily
as I can the Reflex lens. It also works nicely to compress perspective and
"get close" to things I can't walk closer to. And, finally, I don't have to
be lugging a tripod along to use it, assuming it's a bright, sunny day. Not
to mention I can tuck the 500 into a largish jacket pocket...

Ideally, I'd like to have both a refractive 500+ and the Reflex. But there's
just no way I can justify the cost of a refractive long lens of any quality.
The Reflex lens is a good compromise for me.

Then there's the OM-ish reasons. I didn't have one, I needed another Zuiko
fix right then, and the price was right...

---
Scott Gomez