Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:29:03 -0800
Without the eSIF up (and I only just sent my money to Hans for the CD), I can't confirm it, but I'm sure the Oly 500/8, like virtually all of these, is a Maksutov-Cassegrain design with a spherical meniscus lens in front holding the secondary mirror and sealing the lens, spherical primary and secondary mirrors and a small lens group behind the primary mirror similar to the rear groups on conventional tele lenses. Solid cats are very rare.

I believe the reason these lenses don't have diaphrams has to do with the mirror design. A diaphram before the primary mirror would be large, heavy and expensive. Because of the folded light design, any diaphram after the primary mirror reflection and before the hole in the primary mirror would obscure the light to the primary mirror. By the time the light is through the primary mirror hole, it is past the point where a diaphram simply dims all of the image and into the area where it would vignette or obscure the outer parts of the image.

Timpe, Jim wrote:

I'm quite certain the Zuiko is solid cat design.  Don't know how they make
them so 'light'  <g>  pun pun pun