Re: [OM] Fuji digicam

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji digicam
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:36:14 -0800
In a message dated 1/30/2002 Jim Brockaw writes:

<< ...does Fuji's sensor use hexagonal pixels or something? I'm curious
how they get the 'equivalent pixels' number... >>

Yes, they use hexagonal pixels. They also use upsampling interpolation
algorithms in in-camera the image processing. Hence the Marketing phrase
"equivalent pixels" was coined since their images didn't really have as
many as advertised. (A numbers game really.) That said, I would imagine
the S2 is a good body. In a Fuji digital remote (truck based) booth I
saw some large prints made from S1 files at they looked great. But,
$2000.00 for a Nik*n N60 based camera body???? Puhleese.

By the way, my local lab, Bay Photo Lab, has just started offering the
Foto Wire based service where you send your digital files in via the
internet. This just happens to be (thanks to some inside information)
right into the same machine they have been doing Type-R Custom
Enlargements on for the past few months (yes, they switched to digital
enlargers for "Type-R" and they are great prints). I just got back my
first E-10 file based 8x10 from this new service (only $3.50 for an
8x10, delivered to my branch location of choice). Straight out of the
camera, zero post processing. In a word, stunning. Every bit a match for
the 8x10s I get from them made off my Provia F slides. The E-10 does a
pretty darned good job folks. And to think with some noise reduction and
sharpening in Photoshop the file (and print) could be even better. Next
test will be sending some files to labs that have upsampling and do huge
prints...we'll see (I'm still in a "show me" mindset there). Largest Bay
Photo offers is 12x18 (which is pretty big actually, but not "huge").

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com