RE: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2

Subject: RE: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:56:02 -0800 (PST)
Bob wrote:
> I saw a -2s the other day at International Camera here in
> Chicago.  I
> looked it over to see what this fuss was all about, and I must
> say that
> I still don't get it.  Must be something about fond memories,
> or how
> those silver noses look on a -2s body. ;)

Boy, and I'm accused of being the retro-grouch!  Lieca M series,
OM-2(n) and manual shutters.  Why don't we start promoting glass
plates too!

Seriously, to answer your question...  I continue to shoot with
my high-mileage OM-2S.  This camera (even with the unresolved
film-skew) is an absolute wonder to use.

I've owned an OM-1md and liked it, but didn't like being limited
to manual only.  I shoot tons of pictures in the 2-15 second
range and don't always carry a cable-release with me.  Didn't
like the focus screen limitations either.  Didn't have spot
metering.

I've owned an OM-2md and like it, but didn't like the focus
screen limitations, nor the lack of spot-metering.

I own an OM-4 and like it.  The multispot metering for B&W
absolutely rocks!  In manual mode, spot meter a high value, spot
meter a low value and adjust exposure so that both dots fall
within the exposure range of the film.  Doesn't get any better
than this.  The 1/2000 shutter speed is a nice touch when
shooting fast films outdoors.  What I don't like is the
inability to flip back and forth between averaging and spot
metering like I can with the OM-2S.  Spot metering is "fixed"
not "continious".

Ah, the OM-2S.  What a sweet machine.  If the OM-2n is a
Ferrari, then the OM-2S is a Ferrari with air-conditioning,
remote keyless entry and a cup-holder.  Oh, and a stereo you can
hear over the scream of the engine.

The OM-2S is probably the most perfect OM in the careful balance
of ergonomics and features.

I don't want to say too much till I get another. <g>

AG-Schnozz