Re: [OM] Ack! Macro flash help, please

Subject: Re: [OM] Ack! Macro flash help, please
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:14:23 -0800
on 1/27/02 3:40 PM, Scott Gomez at scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> We're almost dead on at 1.6 feet from her subject, and I suspect the
> background is what's causing trouble. It's a jet black piece of velvet.
> Anyone have any suggestions? Are we truly underexposing? Or are we likely to
> be over-exposing the actual subject and getting an UNDER reading due to the
> dark background.
>
> ---
> Scott Gomez

I think you want about 2-3 stops down from the 'meter' setting to get that
black... the camera is assuming a 'normal' subject of approximately 18 0ray
across the whole image area (even allowing for weighting). Its trying to put
enough light on the film to get all the image to average out to 18 0ray...
and you have a lot of black that is fooling it. I'd bracket some, but I
think on TTL you should dial in 2-3 stops of minus exposure compensation.
--

Jim Brokaw