Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)

Subject: Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:33:42 EST
The new digital SLR will not be able to use OM lenses. That much has been
admitted by Olympus. Olympus's press release makes it very clear that they
are 'closing the door' on the OM line, it will be serviced for a while, but
not further supported.

We're all speculating on the new 'smaller' size of Olympus's digital SLR,
some of us are imagining 'dainty-sized' lenses, but I think too much emphasis
is being placed on 'smaller'. Smaller than what? I don't see it being smaller
than an E-20 or smaller than an IS-30, but I think what the insiders are
saying as 'smaller' means smaller than say, a Nikon D1 or a Contax N1
digital, but still retaining many features. If Olympus shrinks it smaller
than their own existing cameras, I feel it won't be taken seriously by 'pros'
or 'advanced amateurs'. At a reported price of ~ $1500 it'll have to be at
least close to a full-featured camera, IMO.

George S.