[OM] Re: Smart Media Cards

Subject: [OM] Re: Smart Media Cards
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:11:35 -0500
At 11:30 AM -0500 1/25/02, DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx wrote:

Our 4040 came with a 16MB Olympus Smart Media Card. We wanted a card with greater capacity so I bought a "No-Name" 64MB card. Photos were just fine ( we thought) until the last few days when we began to notice degredation in the sharpness and color quality of the photos we were making.

We shot the same subject with the same settings using the original Olympus card and the 64MB card as a test. The results are obvious, ie. the Olympus card produces a better result. No surprise there and we have learned our lesson.

But... the "gold" or recording side of both cards have some minor longitudinal scratches on them. We can't tell if the camera or the card reader is scratching the card. So, the question; does the camera lay down the digital image on sequentially different areas of the a card as it is "filled" up? If so, then perhaps the scratches in a specific area are the culprits.

It sounds like you have a bum card that simply isn't holding data
properly. and it's surprising you're getting any pictures out of
it at all.Those gold pads on the card are the electrical contacts
for power, data and address lines, so all of them are used every
time data (pictures) are written to the smartmedia card. What gets
written on the card is a series of numbers describing the image, so
it's not as if better or worse contacts would make a better or worse
image -- it should produce either a good image or gibberish.

One remote possibility is that the electrical characteristics of the
card are somehow causing the whole system to degrade, so that the
CCD sensor or the analog-to-digital converstors don't do what they ought to,
but offhand I would say your problem lies elsewhere.

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx