[OM] Re: Smart Media Cards

Subject: [OM] Re: Smart Media Cards
From: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:30:11 EST
TechnoZuiks,

Our 4040 came with a 16MB Olympus Smart Media Card.  We wanted a card with
greater capacity so I bought a "No-Name" 64MB card.  Photos were just fine ( we
thought) until the last few days when we began to notice degredation in the
sharpness and color quality of the photos we were making.

We shot the same subject with the same settings using the original Olympus card
and the 64MB card as a test.  The results are obvious, ie. the Olympus card
produces a better result.  No surprise there and we have learned our lesson.

But...  the "gold" or recording side of both cards have some minor longitudinal
scratches on them.  We can't tell if the camera or the card reader is
scratching the card.  So, the question; does the camera lay down the digital
image on sequentially different areas of the a card as it is "filled" up?  If
so, then perhaps the scratches in a specific area are the culprits.

Any of you using this media having the same experience?

Dave Dougherty