RE : [OM] what happend to my flash shots?!

Subject: RE : [OM] what happend to my flash shots?!
From: "Jim" <teojim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:42:05 +0800
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:21:09 -0800
From: Acer/Siddiq <waltherppk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] what happend to my flash shots?!

I used fuji NPS and T32 w/ home made plastic piece diffuser fit in front of
the tube. as measured by my
gossen light meter, it showed a light reduction of about 2/3 stop, so i
rounded it up to 1 stop loss. Used T32
normal auto, shooting distance varying between 8-12 ft mostly, 50/1.4 at
f/8. the diffuser bit was RIGHT in
front of the tube, it did not interfere in any way with the thrystor sensor
in the "O"lympus. However, the
prints came out muddy and basically trashed, and the negs aren't dense,
meaning underexposure, probably
by at least a stop.

what did i do wrong? last formal occasion, since it was in our house, i just
bounced the T32 off the ceiling
(which by experiment i determined needed +3 stops) and things worked like
magic...everyone LOVED the
lighting and how flattering it made them look ;) since this was in a hall, i
couldn't bounce off ceiling, so i
went the diffuser route..with heartbreaking results no less.

can anyone figure out what i did wrong? hopefully i provided enough info, if
not, just ask. i really would like
to get some nice shots of the entire extended family when we all gather this
spring for the wedding.

FYI, the diffuser was carved from a slightly curved piece of plastic from a
rubbing alcohol bottle, such that it
snapped nicely into the dovetail groove on the flash head.

on a side note, should i decide i'm up to the task of unofficial sideline
wedding photog, i might have to
borrow a lens or diffuser from a listie!

/A/S
- --
dum spiro, spero
http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/
-------------------------

Hi A/S

Does the auto check on your T-32 blinks after each shot?
A way you could cfm the correct exposure.

You may accidentally switch your lens to F11 instead causing it to be
under-expose.

I suggest you to use flash and set F8 auto on the T-32 and F5.6 on your
lens. (+1 stop using film will have a better colour saturation, never under
it) However if you need to bounce it, use ASA 400 film and remove your
diffuser. Take note of the subject distance and ceiling colour / height
(within 2.5m should be fine).

Shutter speed at 1/30 or 1/15 for more ambient light.
If at 1/60, you may accidentally switch to 1/125 which will cause disaster
to your flash pictures.

Don't get discourage, shoot more and you will be able to fine tune your
pictures eventually.

Cheers
Jim Teo