Re: [OM] Finger light - going OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Finger light - going OT
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:55:30 -0800
on 1/24/02 6:31 PM, Wayne Harridge at wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Jon Wichman <jwichman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> It's the 7-11 store located on a military post.
>> Except with  _much_  lower prices.
>
> So are the lower prices due to:
>
> a. Less profit to whoever runs the PX
> b. exemption from some taxes
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wayne Harridge

Generally a little of both. If I recall, the 'profits' from the operation of
the exchange system are used to support 'military family' assistance
programs (i.e. youth centers, counseling services, low-income assistance
programs) for the soldiers and their families. I think the prices are set at
a level that covers operations and generates a modest profit level, but not
the 'profit maximizing' level of WalMart or K-Mart (er... unh... well, you
know what I mean...)

As the military base community in many cases was relatively isolated from
other retail options (except bars and pawn shops) the exchanges didn't
charge 'what the market would bear'. This isolation has eased somewhat,
especially in US base locations, but the prices are still good on some
things.
--

Jim Brokaw