RE: [OM] e*ay bidding

Subject: RE: [OM] e*ay bidding
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:09:07 +0100
Hi,

> Not sure of XP, but in WIN2K, you can configure the built-in time service.
> Not difficult at all, and if you're on a LAN having a Win2K server, it's
> done automatically for all the Win2K Pro systems that are members of the
> domain at the time they get configured and join the domain.

It is very easy to write a rough sniping program, all one really needs, is
to work out what the URL would look like for placing the bid on the desired
item at the desired price (these values have to be passed as URL
parameters). The only thing left to do, is to schedule a small batch file
that uses Perl LWMP (or a custom written socket connector) to call the URL
at the desired time. Doing "semi manual snipes" this way, is very easy. Of
course when the program needs to be fancier, it's a bit tougher (as in: more
_work_ to make, but not necessarily much more _difficult_), but still it's
easily do-able.

Likewise, it's extremely easy to write a small Perl program that grabs the
listing of e.g. Olympus items, and checks it for BIN items (if so desired,
along with other criteria), you can then schedule such a program to be run
e.g. each minute, and have it send you an alert when a matching product has
been found. If I were still actively hunting for steals on e-Bay, I would
write such a program.

Actually, I have written a very similar program, to assure me that using the
Internet I was always amongst the first 6 people to react on houses for rent
in a very tight market here (reactions have to be made within a 5 minute
time frame of houses being posted, or you're toast). :) At times it pays off
to invest a little bit of time in writing/buying such a program...:)))

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: Some of MD's BIN deals lead me to think that he has actually
written/bought such a program for scanning the BIN deals, right? ;)