RE: [OM] e*ay bidding

Subject: RE: [OM] e*ay bidding
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:52:38 -0800
Charles,

Here's what I know (which ain't much).

I use esnipe. They *do* charge to snipe. They didn't used to, but they
worked well and so I bought snipe "points" when they went to a pay service.
They've always worked well for me.

Assuming a snipe service is working as it *should*, you should be able to
place a "bid" that will execute a specified number of seconds, minutes or
hours before the auction ends. That's the whole reason for having snipe
services.

If there's time for someone to outbid you on a snipe, then...

1) The person had an existing regular evilbay bid in with a higher maximum
than your snipe was set for. You may have seen some rapid machine-driven
proxy bidding occurring in that case, as the system determined which bid was
higher, earlier.
2) Your snipe was set to go off too early and someone with a regular bid,
another snipe bid, or good reflexes if time was short, got a higher bid in
before the auction ended.
3) Some other sniper hit about the same time as yours did and had a higher
"cap".

Based on you saying you were outbid a number of times, it sounds like your
snipe was set to go in way too early. Snipes only work if you're in at the
last possible second with the maximum you're willing to pay and that maximum
turns out to be enough. Snipe bids should always execute for the amount you
set them for, and when they do, they should act (as far as evilbay is
concerned) just like any other proxy bid, incrementing only as much as
necessary (assuming your limit is high enough) to win the auction.

If you were definitely *not* actually executing the snipe bid at the time
you saw the increments on evilbay, then it was either coincidence, or you
need to find another sniping service, as there should *not* be any means by
which your snipe amount can be monitored.

---
Scott Gomez