RE: [OM] OM-PC quality

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-PC quality
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:38:47 -0600
If you can get an OM-PC with a 30 day guarantee you might give it a shot.
You should not pay any more than $100 for a used OM-PC in any event.

The big problem is something we call 'Degenerative Circuit Disease'. It acts
a bit like 'Oily Shutter Magnet', but is worse since it is not repairable.
The symptoms are an OM-PC in which occasionally the body will lock up with
the mirror in the up position,  and (if I remember correctly) the shutter in
the open position. This typically occurs under conditions when a longer
shutter speed is called for. Only way to reset it is to remove the battery
cells.

I suspect that every OM-PC will eventually get this disease, since it is so
common. It probably has to do with the ultimate deterioration of some
component on the circuit board - probably an electrolytic capacitor since
they are known to have finite life spans.

Another common malady is a reflex mirror deterioration, wherein there is a
noticeable green cast to the viewfinder image. This is just an aesthetic
problem, I think.

So, feeling lucky?

Chip Stratton