Re: [OM] Refixing Zuiko lens rubber grips

Subject: Re: [OM] Refixing Zuiko lens rubber grips
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:01:33 +0100
I had the same problem on a 100mm/2.8. The rubber was pretty stretched, and
would have needed clipping to fit. Instead I used some double-sided
mounting tape that had a very thin layer of some sort of foam between the
sticky layers. I put that on the lens, and the rubber grip on top. It seems
to work fine, and looks OK.

Roger Key, Copenhagen

David Lee wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have what is probably a common problem with my 50mm/3.5 macro.  The
rubber focussing grip is coming loose from the lens barrel.  Fortunately
it's not stretched and so can simply be glued back.  I believe that rubber
cement is the recommended adhesive so can anyone suggest a suitable product
that I can get hold of in the UK?  Also how should I apply it - replace the
rubber over wet adhesive or coat both lens barrel and ring and wait until
the adhesive is almost dry (as in bicycle puncture repair)?  I'm assuming
that excess adhesive will be easy to rub off around the edges once it has
dried.

I'd rather not just experiment as the lens is too good to mess up so I want
to make a neat job of it and be sure that the repair is reversible in case
the rubber needs to be removed again for service!

Cheers

David