[OM] 100-year old Kodak disc cameras... or not!

Subject: [OM] 100-year old Kodak disc cameras... or not!
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:18:44 -0800
on 1/19/02 5:56 PM, Winsor Crosby at wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I forget who was making the point, but they did not say there were
> Kodak disk cameras a century ago.  That was sometime in the middle of
> the last century. Earlier, before film merchandising was separated
> from the camera, Kodak sold sealed cameras which were returned to
> Kodak for processing when the film had been exposed.
>
> Winsor

"You push the button, we do the rest." One of the early Kodak cameras had a
long roll of film sealed inside, I think you got 100 exposures. When
completed you sent the whole camera to Kodak, who removed the film,
developed and printed it, reloaded the camera and returned it all to you. I
think it took longer than 24 hours <g> but the alternatives were mostly
sheet film cameras and 'process it yourself'... this made photography
accessable to the masses, without the problems teaching the world how to
load a roll of film in a camera. It wasn't too long ago that loading 35mm
film was pretty fussy sometimes, e.g. my Leica IIIg...
--

Jim Brokaw