Re: [OM] Anybody got a source for a motor drive cover?

Subject: Re: [OM] Anybody got a source for a motor drive cover?
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 06:39:55 -0800
Well I am a bit overwhelmed by the response...

I am also intrigued by the possibility of variations of  Motor Drive
Caps that might be out there, but that is the last discussion I want to
start.  I believe it was Jim Brokaw that mentioned that the Motor Drive
Cover was made from two metal stampings.  I only have one OM 1n and its
cap is definitely machined.

One of the sources I talked to apparently has been through this kind of
endeavor before and it was his strong recommendation that if I was
serious about this that I get cash up front before the project starts.
I could end up with a bag full of Motor Drive caps... That sounds way
too familiar, lets not go there.

The two quotes I got were in the range of $1500 as a lot charge with a
simple Nickel plating.  These would not be perfect reproductions just
functional replacements.  However once you turn on the machine the per
part costs are fairly low, higher volume will definitely bring the per
piece price down.

Right now is a good time to explore these things because most Job Shops
are looking for any kind of work just to help keep the lights on.  I do
not have the time or the money to front an operation like this but if
anyone would like to try I will be happy to finish up the drawing and or
work with a shop of your choosing.

The second issue is that here in Silicon Valley is no doubt costs more
just to keep the lights on that other parts of the world.  Others might
find a better deal else where.  Let me know what format you can work
with and I would be happy to send the drawing and or solid model along.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California

P.S. Right now I am guessing that the cap is made from something like
Half Hard Brass with a Nickel plating but I have never seen one
"Brassed" enough to confirm the suspicion. I am also not about to take a
file to the one I have. : ^)  If anyone out there has better info I'd
like to know,  Thanks.