Re: [OM] Shooting indoor sports?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting indoor sports?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:06:35 +1100
>I've got to cover a basketball game and a wrestling match this week for the
>university paper.  Anybody have any suggestions regarding lens choice and
>good angles?
>
>I've got 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2.8, 180/2.8 at the moment.  I'm thinking the
>180 would only be good for cross-court shots.  I should have full access to
>the sidelines since I will be getting a photo pass tomorrow.
>
>Film will probably be TMAX 400 or Tri-X pushed to 800.  All I have in the
>flash dept. is a Vivitar 283 w/Sto-fen diffuser, so no low output TTL
>controlled flash pops, just the 'yellow' setting on the sensor.
>
>So the question to the experts:  With this equipment what would you choose
>to use?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

Even at court side you'll need the 180 - full court shots just look
confusing. I've tried to shoot a rugby match from the fence with a 400mm
and failed because there was a running track between the fence and the
field. Couldn't get the nice tight action pix. The best shots are always
closer than you think. Unless you're actually on the sidelines, you'll be
too far away.
I'd get some faster film too - FujiPress 800 or 1600, Delta 3200 (@1600)?
Don't forget the monopod :-)
AndrewF