Re: [OM] bay-watch, cont'd

Subject: Re: [OM] bay-watch, cont'd
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:40:50 +0000
At 03:53 1/12/02, Jon wrote:
I'm amazed by the number of people who are selling their old Olympus's
because they bought something so much "better".
And the posted photo looks like cr_p!

Yep, looks that way to me too. Typical seller strategy to imply there's nothing wrong with it, which starts my B.S. detector flashing and specific questions to the seller if I'm interested. Weasel worded comments "seems to work fine" and "could use fresh batteries" also triggers the B.S. detector. The seller can later feign ignorance about problems.

Not in this ad, but perhaps my all time favorite:
"Dun no nuttin' 'bout dis [fill in blank with item being sold] an gots no battrys to try it wid, but looks OK to me."

Was in a major camera store a few weeks ago. While waiting for someone to help me a young woman came in with an early Pent*x AF SLR with several lenses and numerous other accessories to sell to the store. Looked like a modest system. That consumed several people examining everything and I would have to wait until they were done with her.

First comment from her: "I'm just not using it that much." Also stated she had "inherited" it from her father. However, she seemed very knowledgeable about some of the lesser accessories. Took the salesman examining the body about 10 seconds to discover the battery door hinge was broken. Took one other salesman about 30 seconds to discovere a problem with one of the other lenses. There was little doubt in my mind why she wasn't "using it that much" and I became very suspicious about the *real* reason she was there to sell it.

She and her "significant other" (who wandered aimlessly elsewhere in the store while this was going on) left with camera, lenses and the bag it came in after 5 minutes. Guess their attempt to dump the camera on the store didn't work. Wouldn't surprise me if it showed up on eB*y!

-- John