Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x9

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x9
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:24:30 -0800
So that's 35mm equivalent lenses of about 21, 28, 42, and 64 mm, quite wide to about 'normal'. One reply listed a 270mm lens for 6x9, equivalent to 114mm, a moderate tele for 35mm film.

There are a lot of good things about MF. Two of the limitations that haven't been discussed yet are lens speed and focal length limitations. MF lenses are almost always slower than their 35mm equivalents, often considerably slower. This doesn't just mean tripods, etc., it also means different ability to use DOF creatively.
Moderate telephoto lenses are big, heavy, slow and expen$ive.
Longer telephotos are almost (I say almost so I won't get dinged with some exotic!) non-existent. 300mm on 35mm requires 700mm on 6x9. 500mm is 1180mm! Of course, you can crop down to the image area desired for a tele perspective, but then you are using a big camera to make a little neg.

Camera systems built around different negative sizes are tools, use the right one for the job at hand. I don't drive a ten penny nail with a tack hammer just because I tack hammers are really light and portable and I don't drive brads with a sledge hammer just 'cause somebody told me Sledges are really cool (or so much more macho than little hammers).

Moose

NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

I'm not going to give you all the technical answers to the questions you posed, however you line of reasoning works for me. If you like the 35mm film format, then why not look at one of the various versions of the Mamiya Press cameras with a 6X9 back. If you are doing landscapes, architecture or other pretty much stable subjects which are not particularly time sensitive, one of these beast might be the ticket. Some offer a back with limited swings and tilts and an entire system can be had for less than a Zuiko 24 mm shift lens. They also offer the advantage of having a leaf shutter which will sync at all speeds. In answer to the unasked question, yes, I have just purchased one of these, with a 50mm, 65mm, 100mm, 150mm, extension tubes and 6X9 back. I have about $1200 in it and doubt that that number will get much bigger. My intention is to have this augment my Olympus system, not replace it. Oh ! yes, these are no longer made and there are several members of this list who also own and use this camera. Bill Barber