Re: [OM] Pushing film

Subject: Re: [OM] Pushing film
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:18:27 -0500
We certainly pushed films in the 60s and 70s to higher ASAs.

Push antedates Pull, which term I don't recall.

tOM

On Friday, January 11, 2002 at 10:32, Winsor Crosby
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Pushing film" saying:
> >Looking through my collection of photo books, including Ansel Adams,
> >Andreas Feininger and others, there is no mention of "push" or "pull" as
> >separately identifiable entries in the respective indexes. One of
> >Feininger's books goes into great length about under and over exposing
> >in the camera and compensating with over and under development with
> >illustrations to support his writing but nowhere are the words "push"
> >and "pull" to be found.
> >
> >Considering that Feininger was writing in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s
> >when films' exposure latitudes were likely not as wide as they were
> >today it is strange that the "push" and "pull" terminology is not more
> >evident in the literature.
> >
> >John Hudson
> >Vancouver, BC
>
> I think it is because adjustment of the exposure time and development
> was considered to be a normal part of the photographic process with
> skilled technicians. When processing moved into the consumer channel
> standardized exposure times and processing became the norm, and
> "push" and "pull" became ways of getting back some of the flexibility
> available to skilled technicians.

------------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-
photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115    N45.412
W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980