Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x7???

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x7???
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:01:41 +0000
Olympus wrote:

> 24mm x 36mm = 864mm^2
> 600mm x 700mm = 420000mm^2

This made me sit up and take note, having just this morning passed a
very temptingly cheap Lubitel 166U at a shop on New Oxford Street.  But
unfortunately there's only 10mm in a cm, so the areas are 864mm^2 and
4200mm^2...about 5 times the size as opposed to 500:)  Still a big jump,
and you're right that MF lenses wouldn't even have to be as sharp as
35mm lenses for an improvement in quality at 8x10.

But, you'd have to agree that one of the delightful things about the OM
system is its compactness.  I think nothing of heading out with two
bodies, four lenses and a few accesories.  I can't imagine doing the
same with MF.  I'm also very very tempted by an excursion into MF, but I
really can't see myself using an MF camera anything like as often as I
use the OMs.  I can't see the cost being justifiable.  Besides that, I'd
need to get an MF film scanner, and that's serious money!  Nope, OMs and
zuikos are good enough for me right now.

Roger