Re: [OM] Auto Show photography?

Subject: Re: [OM] Auto Show photography?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:02:52 -0800
on 1/7/02 11:13 PM, Michael Darling at cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm thinking of hitting the Philly auto show in the next couple of days and
> maybe taking my clandestine kit along (OM-2s, 50/1.4, 28/2.8).  I assume I
> can get away with taking some pics so long as I don't use a flash to draw
> attention to myself...  Am I right?

Years ago I did some photography at the Detroit Auto Show (which is now the
#1 in the world...) and it wasn't any problem at all. I didn't use a flash,
but used 400 color negative (Kodacolor 400? -- long time ago). I took a lot
of pictures of the various models and even a few of the cars...

> As far as film goes, I plan on pushing some Tri-X to 800 if needed.  Also
> may have a roll of P3200 stashed away that I can dig up.  Any suggestions on
> fast color emulsions?  I'm thinking I might be safe with 400 ASA but I'd
> like to get _some_ DOF in my pics.

Auto shows usually have a fair amount of light, as they want the cars to be
bright, shiny, and look desirable. You can probably get away with 400 speed
and no flash, or 800 for certain. A monopod might help if you want to stop
down some.

> Now if I'm going to both color and b&w, I might just need that extra OM...
> Thank god for winter and bulky parkas with lots of pockets :)

Once you're inside the place should be warm, and carrying around a massive
<g> OM kit you might not want to build a sweat, dress for the indoors.

--

Jim Brokaw