[OM] OM-4 problems - help

Subject: [OM] OM-4 problems - help
From: bglik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:48:56 -0500 (EST)
Hello!  Has anybody seen these problems with OM-4?

1. In low light (meter shows exposure longer than 1/30 sec) when I press the
release, the shutter opens but doesn't close.  To get it to close, sometimes
it's enough to point the lens towards a light source, but sometimes I have to
switch it to "B" and back.

2. Often (especially in less light) the spot metering button takes a long time
to work - I have to hold it for a couple of seconds until a spot-metering dot
appears in the viewfinder.  Below approx. 1/250, it doesn't work at all.

3. The timer seems to present an awful battery drain - after ten-fifteen frames
the battery goes completely dead.

The last one is definitely an electrical problem, and the first two seem to get
worse when the batteries go low.  Could they be related?  Is there a way to do
any further troubleshooting at home?  Would a regular service in a shop help?
How about a 4Ti circuit upgrade (does anybody still do those)?

Thanks a lot!

Boris