Re: [OM] New to the list

Subject: Re: [OM] New to the list
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:20:01 +0100
There are at least five versions of the 50/1.8, but they can be divided
into three principal types.
1. Those that say G.Zuiko - the earliest.
2. Those that say MC -these are only multicoated on one or two elements.
3. Those that do not say G.Zuiko or MC - fully multi-coated version that
says ' Made in Japan' on the front of the lens. These start around serial
no. 3,500,000 (as far as I remember). These seem to have more plastic than
earlier versions, but perform best.

Roger Key

I originally wrote:

>I have two 50mm f1.8s, both black-nosed and near-mint. One is
>S.N.2637384, and is labeled "MC." The other is a later S.N., 5244899,
>but does not say "MC." Which one should I keep?

To which Richard F. Man responded:

Supposedly if you have one that says, "Made in Japan" not just "Japan,"
it
is of a better lens.

Thanks, Richard. The one with the later serial number does indeed say
"Made in Japan."

Dave Jenkins
Kensington, GA