[OM] New to the list

Subject: [OM] New to the list
From: Dave Jenkins <djphoto@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 22:35:23 -0500
I've been lurking on the list a few weeks and would like to introduce
myself. I've been a full-time photographer and writer for 30 years, and
although I'm new to the list, I'm by no means new to Olympus. Beginning
in 1978, I used the OM system for 13 years,  covering assignments in 27
countries on five continents and around most of the U.S. In 1992, aging
eyes convinced me it was time to switch to autofocus, so I bought into
the Canon EOS system and it has served me well.

However, the last few years, photography just hasn't been as much fun.
Maybe it's the basic stubbornness of my nature, but the more digital is
pushed at me, the more I want to return to the basic elements of
picture-making. I bought a Leica and began carrying it everywhere and
using it regularly, and that was definitely a step in the right
direction. But sometimes, only an SLR will do the job. I began to wish I
hadn't sold all four of those OM bodies and all 13 lenses when I made
the switch to AF.

My father bought and sold photo equipment as a hobby/business, and when
he passed away two years ago I came into possession of his stock, plus
some of his personal equipment. It included a very clean OM-10 which I
had originally bought for him as a gift in 1982, a mint 75-150 Zuiko,
and some other items. I didn't use them, but I thought about them a lot.
A year ago, on an impulse, I picked up a used but usable OM-1 body for
very cheap.

I don't plan to sell the EOS system, but frankly, I don't do much work
these days that calls for lightning-fast focusing. Both OM bodies have
split-image screens that I think will work just fine for most things if
I take my time, and it will all be a lot more fun. Another motivation
which is not fun at all is that I've developed back problems that will
probably require surgery. It's time to lighten the load of equipment I
carry around.

With that in mind, I'd like to build a small but workable OM system. I
have a few items that seem to be keepers, plus some stuff from my father
that I would like to horsetrade into items I need. The OM-10 and the
OM-1 bodies are keepers, at least for now. The 75-150 is definitely a
keeper.

I have two 50mm f1.8s, both black-nosed and near-mint. One is
S.N.2637384, and is labeled "MC." The other is a later S.N., 5244899,
but does not say "MC." Which one should I keep?

As I'm able, I'd like to add a 24mm f2.8, a 35/2, and an 85/2. Toward
that end, I have a few items for sale or trade.

1. A Vivitar 75-205 f3.8. I owned this lens at one time, then sold it to
my father when I got the Zuiko (that's "Zwee-ko") 65-200/4. It's still
in excellent condition and market value appears to be about $60. I have
a beautifully sharp 20x30 print of a Mayan tribesman in full costume
which I shot with this lens in northern Guatemala, using the original
Fuji RDP-100 slide film -- my all-time favorite film.

2. A Sigma 28-80 f3.5-4.5 zoom. I bought this lens for my father in
1982, and it is still in mint condition, with box, leather case, caps,
and hood. I don't know the market value, but any offers will be
considered.

3. A Kiron 28-85 f2.8-3.8 push-pull zoom in spotlessly mint condition
with caps and leather soft case. This is a very finely made lens which
appears to contain no plastic. (In other words, one heavy sucker!)
Again, I don't know the market value, but this is not a cheap lens. All
offers considered.

Thanks for taking time to read this somewhat lengthy post. I enjoy
receiving the forum in digest form, and look forward to hearing from
many of you.

Dave Jenkins
Kensington, GA