[OM] Technical Question - Photographing a B&W Mural....

Subject: [OM] Technical Question - Photographing a B&W Mural....
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 19:38:45 -0600
Here's hoping a list member can help me out.... my son prepared a large mural sketch of dinosaurs for his aunt to use in her kindergarten/first grade class. The mural is about 6' x 25', black ink on white paper, with the beasts shaded in various textures, again with black ink. I wanted to have a photo record for him (who knows if it will survive the little ones!), so we set up to take a sequence frames which would be merged in Photoshop Elements. Because turnaround was a little tight, I opted to use Kodak's Black & White + Chromogenic film (ASA 400), so that I could get the film machine processed at a local 0ne hour lab. I used my OM-4T, 85mm f/2 and T32 on a tripod, positioned so that the long axis of the film was vertical and spaced so that the frame spanned the height of the mural. We then scrolled the mural past fixed frame marks on a wall, moving it about a half 'frame' width per exposure. In an attempt to bias the exposure such that the paper background came out mostly white (instead of 18 0ray), I dialed in a +2 stop exposure offset. We went through the sequence twice, and off I went to the local processor.

The results were not unexpected - the prints came back a fair representation of 18 0ray, thanks to the labs autoprinter. The good news was that they were quite uniform in shading, and lining up the segments to make a full panorama was pretty easy. I scanned the prints into my computer using a B&W setting on my TWAIN driver, and was able to build a fairly decent composite image (though I had to go to a tool other than PhotoShop Elements to do a really good job).

Not being inclined to leave well enough alone, I decided to take a crack at scanning the negatives. I have a cheap PrimeFilm 1800U, but I've upgraded to the SilverFast driver with NegaFix, which happens to recognize this particular film. It seemed to scan OK, but I still had almost no dynamic range, according to the histogram function.... and it seemed to insist on going for "18 0ray"! If I played with various histogram adjustment tools I could improve things a little, but all in all I wasn't too satisfied.

After all of this, the question is, "How should I have taken these photos?" Should I have used true B&W film? Should I have taken the film to a custom lab to hand print? I had thought at one point of shooting on color slide film... would that have worked better? I couldn't just crank up the contrast, because of the range of shadings in the mural (not a pure line drawing). Any suggestions will be appreciated, in the context of the pursuit of knowledge.... the mural is off to the classroom tomorrow, and the son hops on a plane to New Jersey as well, so I'm not likely to re-photograph this time around!

Thanx!

Curt