RE: [OM] Wonderbricks 'R' Us

Subject: RE: [OM] Wonderbricks 'R' Us
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:01:28 +0100
Hi William,

It really _is_ good to see you back, nice discussions are starting off
already!

A question though:

> For a given number of elements, a varifocal lens can be of better optical
quality than a
> true zoom, because it doesn't have to hold focus as you change focal
length.

Perhaps I'm not thinking ;) but it is not directly clear to me why this is
the case. I suppose that the zooming mechanism for a non-varifocal (what is
the proper term for this?) lens must be more complicated than for a
varifocal one, but how does this compromise the optical quality of the lens?
Is this due to less than optimal placement/control of the elements, because
of the more complicated zooming mechanism? Hmmm, that would in a way make
sense, so perhaps I _am_ thinking after all ;)

> Companies making interchangeable-lens lens SLRs have to compete with
Olympus
> ZLRs on price, but don't have the economic advantages of a ZLR design. So
they
> have to use a lower-quality lens. QED?

Makes a lot of sense, unless they seek their compromises in other parts of
the cameras, e.g. by using a cheapish body. But still that would then kinda
come down to the same difference.

Cheers!
Olafo