Re: [OM] Chris's trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Chris's trip
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:34:50 -0500
Oh, come now. I remember a drive across Iowa where I stayed awake by counting cars in the ditch. And another one where we went for almost 30 minutes trying without success to contact the police about the drunk in front of us who would drive down into the wide median, sometimes full of trees, and then reemerge only to do it again a little while later. Neither experience left me suicidal - or maybe I was already suicidal for being there? :-)

I wouldn't miss the drive through the Rockies for anything, but this time of year it is difficult to stick to a schedule while crossing that part of the country. When a storm is brewing the roads are closed until the storm leaves and the roads are cleared. The wind can make driving very difficult, both from the push and also the difficulty seeing. Oh, and the snow blowing onto sun-warmed pavement freezes into something called black ice. Be very careful!

Gregg

Frankly, the drive from Iowa to San Diego will include segments of
mind-numbing proportions. With all due resepect to my neighbors to the
north, the drive across Nebraska from Des Moines to Denver will leave you
suicidal. the money saved could be put toward hotel upgrades, important for
those long driving segments.

Bill Pearce